Tidbits to Chunks

Chasing Dream Job

0
This is the first installment to My Journey to Financial Freedom. To first-time job seekers I only have one piece of advice: Huwag po akong tularan!!! 


There are people after finishing college would soar high in their chosen career. However, there are also college graduates who are struggling to be at the peak or even meet halfway. I am in the latter.

Like any person, I have a lot of dream jobs. As a kid, I wanted to be a doctor but when I found out that medical students dissect frogs and other living creatures that you can think of, I immediately trashed that ambition. When I was in high school, architectural designs tickled my imagination. I polluted my intermediate pad with floor plans. Unfortunately, nobody in the family supported that dream. When I failed in UST’s college entrance examination I finally decided to lift up the white flag and thought maybe they were right. I ended up taking Management course which was not even in my first and second choice.

After graduating in college, one of my wildest dreams was to work in media or entertainment company. I wanted to become a production assistant. Although in doubt because my course was totally irrelevant, I continued dreaming. My patience paid off after almost three months of seeking a job. I was hired as the booking officer in the resident theater company of CCP. Few months later I became production assistant in an improv troupe. Surprisingly, my experience in theater opened other opportunities in related field. At one point I dreamed of becoming a writer and a writing position in a famous media research company knocked on my door when I least expected it. I also worked in one of the most reputable music school in the country. My work history also includes a non-voice occupation in BPO and a secretarial position in a medical equipment distributor.
.
Most of the jobs that I had were multi-tasking. I was exposed to all sorts of things: administrative, accounting, finance, purchasing, production, marketing, customer service etc. Sometimes I was doing two or more tasks simultaneously. If unlucky, in a limited time. I was doing a bit of everything including making coffee which is at the least of my expertise. Jack of all trades but master of none.
.
Indeed, heaven was so kind to me. But my respond to the numerous blessings were not so gratifying. I would move from one company to another after few months or a year of service. If I will include in my resume all the jobs that I had, I bet no employer in his right mind would dare hire me.
.
In retrospect, my numerous job experiences was not always in the downside because though I tripped and fell to the ground a lot of times and experienced annoying incidents that caused a lot of sleepless nights, I was able to attain some of my dreams – dream job, dream company and unexpected opportunities. I was able to work in the Office of the CEO and President of a company. Not just once but twice. It was a huge privileged to serve the person whom everybody regards as “Boss.” The experience was complicated because the expectation was so high and the job description had no boundaries. In the long run I realize that there are valuable lessons behind every experience. And my most favorite was the chance to meet a lot of people from all walks of life. 

At 27, achieving my other dream jobs is no longer a main concern. I realize that there are so much more that I want to accomplish than incessantly chasing my “dream job.” Last year, I took up a short course that will equip me with knowledge and skills needed for the job that I never dreamed of and I never thought I would do. Suddenly, I was thinking of working overseas as housekeeping room attendant. Honestly, it wasn’t a difficult choice. The moment I made that decision, my whole being was at peace (or maybe because studying and working abroad are totally different issues). I enjoyed the whole experience. Really. The “dirty tasks” were draining my energy away but were filling my spirit.

Some of my classmates asked me “Bakit gusto mo magabroad?” “Kasi ayoko ng magresign!” I would answer with conviction. Ask me the same question now, my answer would be more believable – “Gusto kong kumita ng malaki.” Yes, I want to earn big. In the past, earning big bucks was never my motivational factor in finding a job specially my so-called “dream job.” It didn’t matter if I was getting minimum wage kahit nasa small brown envelope pa na mas gusto ko sa totoo lang for as long as I was being paid lawfully. But as I grow old, I have realized that like anyone (if not all), I want to be rich because I have gazillion dreams to fulfil and I am not getting younger. And no one becomes wealthy with P350+ income per day. In present time, money is a huge concern if you want to make things happen; if you want a major change in your life; and most importantly if you want to bless other even more. Today, responsibilities are also becoming more crucial. I am beginning to understand that I shouldn’t always be thinking about myself, because aside from my family, there are strangers who need help. I should be happy that I can serve (more than being a good “kapamilya” to my family and a reliable “kapuso” to my friends) others while I am still strong and still have a lot to give. After all, serving others is a lot more rewarding than hearing others call me “ma’am.” And I thought to be an OFW was a not so bad option after all.

One year has passed I haven’t received any phone call from the recruitment agency since I submitted my requirements last July 2010. Now, I am beginning to become uncertain if I made a right decision. I spent thousands to learn the rudiments in housekeeping with high hopes that the knowledge and skills that I would gain from the program will bring me far. But hey, reality bites. Going abroad is not just about knowledge and skills but intensive experience matters above the rest. So I attempted. Sadly, my several applications here in Manila have crushed my little hope even more. Again reality bites. My height didn't qualify me for the job. :(

So the big question was: What would be my next step????
.
I didn't know (Kinain ko na ang pride ko pero wala pa rin. San na ko pupulutin???!!!)... at least for a while.
.
Photo grabbed at visualphotos.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment