Tidbits to Chunks

A Lot of Firsts

0
The second part of My Journey to Financial Freedom is about my travel to a foreign land and a failed hidden agenda. So here's the story...

I thought when you’re holding a passport, a plane ticket and a luggage not more than 15 kls. you can go to any nation you wish except countries that require Visa. But reality hit me when I was asked to go inside a room full of pallid travelers; fill-up the questionnaires in the white sheet of paper and wait for seemingly day of reckoning. That was one of the most horrifying thirty minutes of my life. No Kidding. But God is really good. God showed His grace when a higher officer of the immigration suddenly came in and interviewed my aunt instead of me. It was supposedly my turn in the hot seat. And the rest was history.


Last January 14-21, I experienced a lot of firsts. It was my first time to travel by plane; my first time to go abroad; my first time in the Lion City; and my first time to hold a rosary-like bracelet as if it was my last. I travelled for two reasons: (1) pleasure and (2) hidden agenda. I was with my aunt, her niece and 2 others. They are typical tourists. They brought clothes, digital camera, cellphone, personal stuff for their hygiene, money of course and instant food. Mine was almost the same except sandwiched between my shirts and jeans was a blue hard case full of photocopies and 3 resumes. A camera was also not in the list. Pathetic!

January 15-18 were fully dedicated to sightseeing and food trip. In the absence of camera, I had a short career in photography because most of the time I was holding theirs capturing wonderful memories. I also had my own moments but unfortunately with limited pose only. Hehe! My aunt and her friend went back to the Philippines on the third day while the two others stayed with their relatives. Honestly, I was holding my tears when they said goodbye. In my mind “Ganito pala ang feeling ng OFW kapag umaalis.”

So the job hunting began. I transferred in a room of 12. I stayed with 9 foreigners and 2 Pinays. The first Pinay was from Cebu approximately 40+ years old and the other was a newly accounting graduate. The Cebuana went to Singapore with a sole purpose of visiting Universal Studios. The young woman on the other hand bravely travelled alone with a hope of finding a job that offers fat paycheck. She was very determined. She would rather stay in her room the whole day browsing the job search engine than go to Sentosa. To some extent I got infected by her will. I bought a newspaper and checked the classified ads. I saw a job that I wanted - a housekeeping position in a 5-star-hotel. I went to their office the following day and was greeted with a lot of black hairs and fair complexions. Yes, Filipino applicants. Quiet. Serious. Hopeful. In front were four interviewers. A male Singaporean called my name after twenty minutes of waiting. Most interviews lasted for approximately five or more minutes. Mine lasted for about 120 seconds. Haha! It was shameful. But honestly while on my way I was already hesitating. I went there solely for the experience and nothing else.

Singapore, as we all know, is a rich nation where business sector and tourism industry go hand in hand. If you wish to work abroad, I think Singapore is a good country to work and live. The cost of living is high but knowing the Filipino people we know how to strategically survive in the rat race. I had the opportunity but I wasted it without giving a good fight. “Sayang ang pagkakataon” ika nga nila. When I was alone, I had an ample time to contemplate. Yes, I want a job. I want to earn big. I want to help my family… But above all, I want a life. And I thought that was the missing link. My desire to seek an occupation in the Lion City was not as big as the newly accounting graduate or the Filipino applicants I met. I knew I did a stupid thing but no regrets actually.

Fast forward. Two hours before my flight back to the Philippines, I was so surprised to see the Keryma preachers (headed by Bro. Bo Sanchez), their associates and their families. Since I was wearing my Kerygma shirt, they knew instantly that I am a Feast attendee. Marowe, Bo Sanchez wife, introduced herself and her kids. I had a few minute talk with Rissa Singson; a handshake with Bro. Michael Lobrin; a photo taken with Bro Bo Sanchez; and a little chitchat with Bro. Eng Si and his wife. It was indeed a very humbling and unforgettable experience. My heavy heart smiled and was full of bliss. Going home suddenly became my most favorite part of the journey. Because I heard God whispered “Don’t worry for I am with you. See, ang dami kong pinadala to tell you that. Hindi lang yon kasama mo pa sila sa eroplano."

0 comments:

Post a Comment